Good day to you, O readers. You might be expecting a usual Why Do I Work Here Wednesday blog post, but today is going to be a little different. I'm not quite sure where to start on this topic, so why don't I just take the advice of the esteemed Lewis Carroll, and begin at the beginning, go on until I reach the end, and then stop.

The beginning is my day job, which, as most of you know, is that of an administrative assistant at the financial services firm I am pleased to call Glass Bathroom Bank. The managers and employees I support are mostly very nice people, who like me a lot, and for the most part I like them. The work is not terribly difficult, well within my capabilities, and the pay and benefits are pretty good.

However, over the last few months, the stress of being out in public, coupled with office-style fluorescent lights, has started to trigger the light-sensitive migraines hereditary in my family more and more often, until they're pretty much happening every day I'm at the office. I can do a fair bit of my work from home, and fortunately my boss is very understanding and is allowing me to take most of my afternoons and one full day a week from home, but that's not ideal for the people I support.

Obviously, if you're reading this blog, you know that I would love to make my living by selling my writing. Sadly, there are an awful lot of other people who can say the same thing, and a limited number of people out there who will pay money for writing. I've also been dealing with some writer's block, emotional issues, the whole nine yards, but the biggest problem is simply that my work, right now, doesn't sell.

I've been thinking of taking a step which might be seen by some as a very smart, career-advancing move, and by others as selling out or giving in to a monopoly. I've been thinking of writing a piece which I will release solely through Kindle, and therefore be able to take advantage of such things as the Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Lending Library programs.

One of the biggest reasons that I'm not sure I want to do this, O readers, is you. I know there are some of you who either won't or can't purchase books through Amazon, and I don't want to write something that you can't read. But I also don't want to have to keep on working a job that makes me sick and miserable just to pay my bills, and I think it's possible that taking advantage of some of the Kindle-exclusive functions might make it more likely that I can start paying my bills with my writing instead. Besides, to be perfectly honest, Amazon already accounts for the vast majority of my sales.

So, I suppose that's the end of it. I'm thinking of doing this, and my Lenten devotion this year is going to be writing the work that I will release this way, if I decide to do so. Just my usual AnneNoWriLent, which, if I keep up the pace of 1667 words per day, would put me at right about 75,000 words come Easter. I would appreciate your thoughts on the subject, O readers, though obviously I will make my own decision. Thanks, as always, for reading.

9 Comments to Something to think about:

NotACat on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:41 PM
Well, I'm biased both ways, as a confirmed fan both of yourself and my Kindle, so I'll be among the happy if you go down this route.

Emily on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:17 PM
I say go for it! You are not selling out. You are surviving in a tough world. If it inspires you, if it makes you excited to write, do what ever you need to. Don't cater to your readers. Do what is right for you and we will meet you where you are. Go be awesome!

Aida on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:34 PM
I have no idea what are the benefits you get by publishing with Kindle, and I am generally one of those who have trouble buying your books through Amazon, but if it looks good to you, I say go for it.... We will adapt, as always ;o)

greatlakesmolly on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:08 PM
Please do it. I will read it.

Jacque on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:42 PM
I think that it sounds like a good idea, however that may be because I wouldn't have a problem purchasing and reading via Kindle (other than my usual desire to have books on a shelf, but really, our bookshelves are already stacked double). If Amazon already accounts of the majority of your sales, then it seems like those who would purchase your work have already voted, have they not? I wish you the best whatever you decide, and as always look forward to whatever your mind puts to 'paper' next

lilyginnyrose on Friday, February 12, 2016 5:51 PM
I think you should go for it, Anne. I'm one of those can't use amazon-readers. I will find a way, like I did before (setting up a paypal, to pay for a creditcardonly accepting site like scribd. I prioritise happiness (especially that of such a wonderful author like you) above my ease of access of the products of those writings. You want to be able to make money, I get that. I can live with that way easier than you can live with near-constant head-aches. I don't want you to torment yourself.

Tocom on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:55 AM
Dear Anne, I think I understand your dilemma and I do not think that I am in any position to give you advice. However - since you asked, I give it to you anyway ;-) You want to do work you enjoy (Writing), but to do do so takes sacrifices. If you keep your regular job it might be safer for you, but it will not give you the feeling of doing what makes you happy or content with your life. So whatever you do, it will have something bad along the way (as do most decisions, there is just hardly anything for free in my experience). Seeing that I am not a risk-taking person myself, I do not know what I would do. But if there ist the chance of going back to a desk job if the Amazon deal does not work out, I think this would be a risk I could take. Especially because it would give you the chance to see if you can attract a wider audience than your "safe haven" of steady readers. Wahtever you decide I wish you all the best and will be glad to read about it! And by the way: I finally read Homecoming (and enjoyed it as I did "Widow in Waiting") and I finished the Dangerverse for the I-don't-know-how-many-times. BUT: I do not have a Facebook-Account, so it would be absolutely great, if you would publish any new Dangerverse snippets (no matter how short) at Fanficauthors or another public available place. Pretty, pretty please? I promise not to give any more advice, too! Best regards from Europe! Tocom

Alli on Sunday, April 10, 2016 7:31 PM
Sorry I'm too late to ease any of your decision-making (I really have no right to affect you anyway, since I still haven't bought one of your books--I've been working through the same novel for three years; school has consumed my ability to sit down with a book). But when I do sit down and figure out how to buy with my own card through my parent's Amazon account (the one connected to my device), it will be the Kindle versions. So do what you want and rest assured that your readers still love you.

Alicia on Saturday, April 30, 2016 8:33 PM
I come back to check this blog (SO sorry I've been so long away!) -- short answer is that I think that's a great idea. I think you articulated it very well, that there are simply a limited number of people willing/able to buy the product that you sell, and I'll be interested to see what you're coming up with. Unrelated question -- anything you can tell me about Kindle lending library? I have a friend whose mom uses a nook to read through library downloads, and she's thinking of switching over to Kindle. Tiffy's and my Kindles are first and second generation, respectively (and Tiffy's is broken) so I don't know anything about borrowing books through download! (Generally if I like something enough to read it once, I will want to read it more than once on my own timeframe, though, so I don't borrow books, I buy them.) Unrelated piece of advice -- I wonder if you have any options besides either being a full time writer or staying with things exactly as is at GBB -- I do get that they're a good job with nice people and decent pay and benefits, but if you physically can't handle it, maybe you could look for some other day job to get you through until you're able to write full time? How are things going with the telecommute arrangement? (I get that you wouldn't want to leave after they already accommodated you, but that's not the case if it isn't working.)