And so it ends

Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time there was a girl, twenty years old but still very young, and that girl loved the books of the Harry Potter series. One of her two roommates got her interested in reading fan fiction, and then in writing it, and one day a thought came to the girl. What if, somehow, Harry could have had a family?

The girl intended this story to be brief. She would sketch out what might have been in a few short chapters, and then return to her more serious, canon-based fic. But the characters, and the possibilities, of this world caught her mind and her heart on fire. Some nights she would stay up typing until 3 AM, until her other roommate threatened to drop a large textbook on her head if she didn't go to sleep.

So it began, O readers, ten years ago, when I was a junior in college, juggling a major in theater, three choirs and private voice lessons, the intention of becoming a primary school teacher, and my mother's recent serious illness, which had brought home to me all the more strongly how lucky I was to have my wonderful and loving family. I couldn't resist giving Harry and Hermione, and later Draco and Sirius's daughter Meghan, that same kind of love, from Remus Lupin and Sirius Black, from Sirius's wife Aletha and Remus's wife Danger, and the first three stories of the Dangerverse came thick and fast.

But then came the lean years. I struggled through a semester of grad school in the fall and winter of 2006 before realizing that teaching wasn't for me. At that point, I had a brief spell of panic, because I'd never really thought about what else I might want to do with my life. Then I looked back at my computer, at the hours of chats with DV fans, at the thousands of reviews I was receiving, and it dawned on me. Not only did I want to be a writer, I already was one. I just had to figure out how to make it pay.

I knew that wouldn't happen overnight, so I went out and found work to keep myself afloat. Some of my life choices worked, others didn't, but I never starved. The pace of updates slowed, sometimes considerably (who remembers the eight-month wait for Facing Danger to update?), but I never quite gave up on the DV, or on writing originals, though they weren't always good originals. Though I do happen to think... but that comes later.

Now, at last, after more than ten years, I can look at the Dangerverse as a completed body of work. It's not perfect. A lot of the early portions, and even quite a bit of the later stuff, makes me want to cringe with how raw and clunky it is, or with choices I'd never make today. And yet... and yet every word, every sentence, was a step on the journey. I may be embarrassed by some of them, but I can't know how things would change if I hadn't taken them. So I'll fight not to be ashamed.

I have, of course, written other fan fiction works while I was continuing with the Dangerverse. Be Careful is easily the longest of those, and yes, I know I've been promising a sequel to that almost since I finished it. Maybe now I'll actually be able to do it. There's also The Lion, the Snake, and the Safe Room, my Narnia crossover, which maybe I can work on, and a few other assorted fanfic goodies, including my Frozen fic...

So the answer to the question of, will I continue writing now that the Dangerverse is done, is that it's more a question of, could I stop writing. And the answer is no. I don't know if I was born a writer, but I do know that I am a writer, and that I will always be a writer. Whether I'm a good writer or not, O readers, whether I'm a worthwhile writer or not, only you can say. And many of you have said in the past, with a fair degree of vehemence, and on both sides of the argument.

However. If you do happen to think I'm a good and worthwhile writer, and if you have only read the Dangerverse and would like some more Anne B. Walsh writing right now, may I humbly recommend my original works? I have written three novels, all of which I have tried to keep reasonable in price, and all of which can be read on e-readers, tablets, phones, or computers, or ordered in print if you prefer that.

My first novel is a historical fantasy entitled A Widow in Waiting, my second is a family-focused fairy tale retelling (with elements of the DV) called Homecoming, and my third is a soft sci-fi exploration of what it means to be human, Killdeer. I've also done a short story collection called Cat Tales and two holiday specials, with a third to come this November, and I will be pulling together the Fiction Friday tales from right here on the blog to go out in e-book form as well.

I have promised, a couple of times, that I would make my originals available for a reduced price, or even for free, to celebrate the completion of the Dangerverse. Please be aware that I can only do so through indie e-publisher Smashwords, and that you will need to sign up for an account there to use these coupon codes. I promise, they won't charge you fees, and you can use either a credit card or a PayPal account if you see books you want to purchase.

So, here are the codes, with their only restriction that they expire a year from today (that is, they're good until October 31, 2015). Feel free to share them around if you like. Good writing should always be shared. If you really can't afford to pay anything, I do understand, and all I can say is, stick around... the DV quiz to win FREE Anne originals should be ready within about a week!

• To pay $1.99 for A Widow in Waiting, use code MW45R.
  • To pay $1.99 for Homecoming, use code VT77U.
  • To pay $1.99 for Killdeer, use code ZK47Y.
  • To pay $0.99 for Cat Tales, use code UT76X.
  • For a FREE copy of Sing We Now of Christmas, use code RB39N.
  • For a FREE copy of In the Bleak Midwinter, use code GJ56T.

In many languages, there is a distinction between "goodbye for a while" and "goodbye forever". While I must, with sorrow, say goodbye forever to the Dangerverse, it is only goodbye for a while to writing, and that while is going to be a very short one, given that National Novel Writing Month project, tomorrow. Follow my progress here, and check back right here on Anne's Randomness for snippets every Fiction Friday!

But for those of you who just wanted to see how it ended, who think you've had enough, well, then, I guess this is goodbye. Thank you for everything you have given me, and all the best in your journeys onward.

For the rest of you... hold on tight. We're only getting started.

"Your heart feels it's flying, your head feels it's spinning,
"Each happy ending's a brand new beginning!"

-- Carrie Underwood, "Ever Ever After"

10 Comments to And so it ends:

Robert on Friday, October 31, 2014 6:53 PM
okay so this is Taismofan32 that was sending those messages to you, I will be writing the review as soon as Im done reading surpassing danger.

KD on Friday, October 31, 2014 7:17 PM
What a wonderful ending to a series and caught my attention and then stole my heart.

Hannah on Friday, October 31, 2014 7:54 PM
Yes indeed. Goodbye forever and goodbye until a future again are 2 different things and I much prefer the latter as such a thing as love can't die easily. May you continue to bless us all with the fantastic skill that is your way with words and may all your endeavors in said field come to their fullest. As I have said before, I would gladly buy anything you write, even the originals you claim were no good for I cannot see how someone who wove such a world as the Dangerverse and believes so strongly in ideas such as "for all our differences, in the end, we are more alike than unalike" and "love is the most powerful force in existence" could ever truly write something bad. Good luck with National Novel Writing Month and I hope that you do well enough to publish the finished product (I must admit to having developed a fondness for new-spun fairy tales, in part thanks to you). Forgive my rambling but I had much to say to someone of whom I have an impeccably high opinion. You have reached the heights of such greats as C.S. Lewis, Tolkien and J.K. Rowling and I fully intend to tell your stories to any future children in my life (it's looking like I might just have a Pack/Pride of my own in the future). In closing, good fortune and may God smile on your endeavors for you surely use His gifts to you well.

Frances on Friday, October 31, 2014 8:29 PM
I am feeling so many things right now that I don't think I can comment coherently on either the chapter or this post. I will write a proper review later and probably shortly after that, go back and read everything from the very beginning. But right now... the feels!!

Tricia on Friday, October 31, 2014 9:02 PM
Congratulations! Well done! Can't wait to purchase your next originals. You are an amazing after.,thank you for sharing your amazing gift with us!

ShetheCat on Saturday, November 01, 2014 5:51 AM
My heart is overfull right now, but you are beautiful of heart, Anne. Dangerverse has been an amazing ride (and I'll always be back for it, for revisiting and otherwise). I wish you all the best in your originals, and have enjoyed them enormously, and will muddle my way through snaffling a copy of all of them :) Thank your for the puns, the references, and the love. I'm not leaving by any means, just really sentimental right now :D

sarafina on Tuesday, November 04, 2014 4:08 PM
Thank you for all the hours and hours of reading pleasure. It's been a wonderful trip!

Tocom on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:37 AM
Hey Anne, I want to say thank you for this stories which have been with me for so many years now. And let me add that in a hard time of my life they were my hideout from reality. I reread the Dangerverse now for the I do not how many time and I still do not get enough, because whenever I reach the end or, as it was, the waiting point for the next chapter I already miss young Remus and Danger and little Harry and Hermione, so I start again at the beginning... (by the way I always knew that Remus was a Heir of Gryffindor but so many other things I missed and was totally surprised by ;-) !) Actually I am hoping for some little stories still to come to fill some blanks :-) Of course only if you can stand it and find the time! For example how Draco finds his way back in a "normal" life or what happened to Natalie after the war and Blaise and all the other caracters you crafted. And last but not least how any grandchild of Remus came by the surname "Snape"... or did I read that part wrong? I shall see, when I arrive at the end of your Story again, which should take some time, seeing that I am just starting "Facing Danger" again. Now I have rambled on an on about what you did for me and now let me finish with wishing you the best of luck as a writer - a tough Job and hard to earn your keeps (that I know because I had a short time as a freelancer and now study to become a teacher - so kind of reversal stories with us! However I wish you the best and will gladly buy another of your stories as soon as the Dangerverse leaves me alone ;-)

Xin on Sunday, November 30, 2014 12:24 AM
Dear Anne, This is to thank you for your Dangerverse. I've read and re-read it but I had to stop reading in the middle of Surpassing Danger because I just couldn't see how it could possibly have a happy ending... "It's like in the old tales Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered, full of darkness and danger they were, and somtimes, you didn't want to know the end, 'cause how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad 'ad 'appened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, even darkness must fade...A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the brighter! Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant somethin'. " But I trust that it *has* found a happy ending, and now I shall go attempt to catch up on it. I thank you for all the blood and sweat and time you put into it, and the joy you have brought so many of us. I look forward to seeing anything you do in future. Be well.

Minzy on Monday, August 21, 2017 7:37 AM
Hello! I just wanted to say, I loved your Dangerverse so much and lived through it that I can't even believe that wasn't the canon. You're an amazing writer and you have amazing goals. When I first found your fanfic I was not sure what to expect. You know, with all those rushed fics out there. I loved your work so much. Although I was not there from start, I got so hooked that I stayed till the end. Your style of writing changed something in me, and for good. But god damn you made me cry too and that was awful. (Don't worry, I laughed too.) Never been so emotionally connected to a fanfic. Keep on writing, you wonderful person you are. Lot's of Love from a big fan.