How do they find me?

Not only a quote from one of my favorite movies, the identity of which I shall reveal further down, but the title of my post for today is an honest question. How do you find me, O readers? What, or who, led you to the writing of Anne B. Walsh, and what is it that keeps you around through my strange and often infuriating twists and turns?

"They come here, they all come here. How do they find me?" So spake Max Bialystock, producer of guaranteed Broadway flops, right up until the one he intended to be. The movie is, of course, The Producers, the original with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. No offense to Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, but you just can't beat the original.

Max's question was both rhetorical and unflattering to the "they" involved. Mine is a bit happier, and I would definitely like an answer, if possible, O readers. I know a lot of you started out reading my fan fiction, or are still reading it, while others of you may have begun with my originals. Did someone recommend me to you? Did you see a summary or a cover and feel intrigued? How did it happen?

As for news from me, well, there's not a whole lot. I continue to plow forward on the Dangerverse (only seven chapters to go!) and most of my originals are parked on the back burner until that's well and truly finished, though I'm starting to work on opening hook ideas for my 2014 holiday special, Twelfth Knight. Keep an eye on this space for developments!

The dogs remain the dogs, as zany as they ever are, tearing around the house and barking at everything which goes by, including blowing leaves. The roommate has taken up volleyball, or rather taken it up again, since she used to play in high school. The bruises and abrasions are amazing. And we have a houseguest this week who is learning to speak Dog, at least to the point of saying "Do not jump on me".

Acquiring of cats had to be postponed due to slight illness in the household, but the pretty pair we want are still available at our local no-kill shelter, so we're hoping and planning to be kitty mamas again around September 27. What the dogs will think about this is yet to be discovered. Me, I'm just in dire need of a purr fix.

And so, I sign off yet again, O readers. Please, do let me know -- how did you find me? And what keeps you around? More Dangerverse before the end of the week, more originals before the end of the year... hmm. About time to start thinking about a NaNo project, isn't it? Thanks as always for reading, and send thoughts!

15 Comments to How do they find me?:

NotACat on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:30 PM
After all this time, I honestly cannot recall how I stumbled across your work. It just seems as if I've known about it forever: it's stuck in my head at least as firmly as JKR's canon ;-) Maybe you can remember how I arrived?

Dangams on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:18 PM
How did I find you? I seem to recall scrolling down someone's ffn favourites list and seeing LWoD at some point in 2006 or so. And then it all escalated. :P

Kaylee on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:37 PM
How did I find you? Teh Lyrri does not remember. Through fan fiction, yes, and presumably at the recommendation of a friend who was already a reader, but I do not remember specifics. Pack feels like it has always been home. *me purrs*

Dorian on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:18 PM
How did I find you? Someone on, I think, the Lois McMaster Bujold fan mailing list recommended the Dangerverse as an example of good and well-written fan fiction. I'm not sure when that was...I think you might have been partway through "Dealing with Danger" at the time. Anyway, I took a look, loved it, and have been following it ever since.

Amelia on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:13 PM
Fanfiction :) Actually, I saw my sister reading LwoD and was intrigued. Ironically, I am now much more obssessed that she is.

Mary on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:07 PM
I found your fiction on FF.net when I used the filters for the first time. I don't remember what I was looking for in particular, but I thought I'd at least try the first story and I read the whole thing in about half a day. I've been following it ever since.

Nenya on Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:31 PM
A certain owl pointed me in your direction :-)

Frances on Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:52 AM
That is a very good question and as it happens I do remember how I found you. It all started with Jeconais on FFA.net and i kept coming back to the website because all the authors on it had such quality writing. And then you arrived and I was absolutely hooked. I have read and re-read all your fanfics and originals so many times (just finished Killdeer again last night. I will keep coming back again and again because your very well written stories have a heart and soul, humour and happy endings as well as some incredible characters. What would I do without them?

Haminac on Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:53 AM
My best friend and me were exchanging tips about well written fan fiction when she mentioned your Dangerverse together with some words in the direction of "epically long", "very well thought out", "great sense of humor". I tried it, found she had not lied to me and read it for a few years now (honestly can't remember when it begun. But at least part 1 and 2 were already finished, I think). Then I stumbled upon your facebook-page when you mentioned it in one of the post chapter comments of yours. Your side finally gave me the much needed overview over your original works :D

Scott on Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:28 PM
I believe I've mentioned this somewhere before, but I came to LwD round about chapter...7 or 17, I think, through the favourite stories of SarahtheBardess on FFNet, and likely got there from the favourite stories of someone else.

lyonessofavalon on Sunday, September 21, 2014 7:01 PM
I was hunting around for a different Harry Potter fic I'd forgotten to favorite, and it had the words "living" and "danger" in the title, so when I used the search function, your first stories popped up. "Living with Danger" looked really interesting, so I opened it. That must have been back in 2008 or so.

Sarah on Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:48 PM
I came across your work a few years back, either when you were working on the third or fourth in the series, while scanning through the most favorited, completed, Harry Potter fanfics, thought it looked interesting and began to read. Since then I've come to adore your series, to the point where it irritates my sisters as I will occasionally refer to the Danger!verse as if it is cannon, which since it has it's own fanfic I feel I have the right! Sadly they refuse to read it... I will force them to one of these days though, and they will understand how I can put it on the same level as Rowling's work (if not higher, though I can't say that to them... yet.)

KD on Friday, September 26, 2014 11:45 PM
I found you through that crazy hilarious podcast known as PotterFicWeekly. I read the chapters much faster than they discussed them. That was in 2008 when I was in my first go-round of college. (No, staying up all night was not the reason I'm no longer attending that particular school, although I do remember reading all through the night and up until my first class on more than one occasion.)

The Imaginatrix on Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:21 AM
I'm one of the newest fans of your work, according to the above comments. Back in January, I decided to look up "Mary Sue" on TVTropes. There was a list of types of Mary Sue fics and one of them was "Fixer Sue". I found the DV on there. I know, that's not very promising, but what I learned from the brief description on the page made me very intrigued, so I followed the trail of links until I eventually made my way to your FFA account and started reading Living With Danger. I told myself I'd see how the first few chapters were before making my own judgement. I was up all night reading, and didn't stop until I'd finished LWD. I was in love before the end of the first chapter. I've read (well, skimmed because Trix is very impatient sometimes and sad things are hard to read) the entire series, and am eagerly awaiting your wrap-up chapters! I've raved about the DV to my friends who also love quality fanfiction, but they have pretty busy lives and so far, haven't had the chance to sit down for a few hours and get started (unless they have and didn't tell me so yet). I haven't yet read any of your original works, but I've pretty much devoured everything on your profile since January and love it all. Every single blessed thing. Don't ever stop writing. YOU'RE FANTASTIC.

Adam on Monday, October 13, 2014 8:19 AM
I found you by accident, a gift from Slytherin, I suppose you'd call it.