Time of the season

I know it was done originally by The Zombies (great band name, by the by), but the version I have in my head will always be that of vocal group Straight No Chaser. Happy Tuesday, readers -- it's the time of the season for blog posts! And slush. Lots and lots of slush. Not sure I wouldn't prefer straight snow to this wet stuff.

Still, I can't control the weather, no matter how hard I try, so I just have to put up with it. And unfortunately, I also can't (easily) control the stories my brain tells me. I've learned how to have some control, but if I'm not inspired, if I can't see that world and hear those voices, then writing from there is going to be... a challenge, let's say.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying that there is sadly no news on originals just yet. The fan fiction is going great -- I'm getting more ideas for that all the time, including new worlds I might branch out to -- but by its very nature, fanfic doesn't pay the bills. It can satisfy other needs, including being just plain fun, but not that one.

In other news, it is also the time of the season for riding the mood swing. I am doing my best not to grump or gripe too loudly at you, O readers, because you're nice people and don't deserve that, but I've been very much up and down these last few days and weeks, and that also affects my writing. Sometimes it boosts it, but usually...

Well, I think you can guess. Experiencing the emotions I write about, or reasonable facsimiles thereof, is necessary to getting them down on paper, but I also need enough distance that I can write them clearly. And when I'm having bouts of various upsetnesses, which isn't a word but oh well, distance isn't a thing I can do.

Looking back over this post, it's very excuse-y (my day for coining new terms, it seems), but I wanted to be further along on Playing with Fire and working seriously on Snowball by now, and it annoys me that I'm not. At least the fanfic is going well... maybe I should see if there's a market out there for professional fan writers.

What do you think, O readers? Should we petition some of our favorite authors to audition fan writers, to read their existing work and hear their new ideas, and sublet their worlds to the very best for pay? Or would that destroy the niche fan fiction holds in our minds and hearts? Thoughts welcome. See everybody on Thursday, I hope!

12 Comments to Time of the season:

Elizabeth Conall on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:03 PM
I think you just reinvented either tie-in novels or Kindle Worlds. While I'm for tie-in novels, the problem with both them and Kindle Worlds is that having the original creator's permission requires playing by the original creator's rules, which means subversive fanworks don't get made. I'm rather more for subversive fanworks than I am for tie-in novels. (There are other problems with Kindle Worlds that I won't detail here.) Which isn't to say that tie-in novels and not-for-profit fanworks (subversive or otherwise) can't coexist, of course. It's just that not taking the money allows much greater artistic freedom, and I value the freedom more than the potential money.

Anne on Friday, February 21, 2014 11:26 PM
Sure subversive works get made. They just have to be subtly subversive, which is often the best way. Too blatant and people get turned off. Though we've had that discussion before, and shall have it again, I'm sure.

Natasha on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:55 PM
Technically there is a Hugo award for fan writing. Its sci-fi/fantasy based but I'd assume being a award winning author gets the attention of mainstream publishers :)

Anne on Friday, February 21, 2014 11:27 PM
Yes, but getting spotted for an award is kind of like getting spotted for publishing... hard!

Natasha on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:11 PM
Well they do have a fan writing Hugo :) I tried to link it but either I'm in the mod que or completely borked up the attempt. I would figure that winning an award brings all the publishers to the yard...

Anne on Friday, February 21, 2014 11:27 PM
It was a little of both. You had a lot of those funky things that HTML does for spaces in a couple of your attempts. I took those out and let the good ones through.

Lauren on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:24 PM
"Should we petition some of our favorite authors to audition fan writers, to read their existing work and hear their new ideas, and sublet their worlds to the very best for pay?" YES! And I say that solely because of you! :) (I also really like the imagery of subletting)

Anne on Friday, February 21, 2014 11:28 PM
Brings Legendbreakers to mind, doesn't it? "I have this perfectly good world I won't be playing in for a while. Anybody else want to play in it?"

April Lacci Black Ribboner on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:15 AM
I like the thought, you earning enough money to quit your other job "only" by writing. But the reason you gave why you are happier writing fan fiction is the same why I am more motivated to read fan fiction. It grows while I'm reading. And of course I love the characters and the world and what people are able to think of stuff I'd love to read. I don't know if I would pay money for fan fiction. I do know I would love to see what happens when for example you are plotting with Mrs. Rowling. So many questions would get a chance to be answered. So many possibilities! Now I will try to get a bit more sleep before the alarm. :-)

Anne on Friday, February 21, 2014 11:29 PM
All true, and points to think about. Except for me plotting with Jo Rowling. I'd get all tongue-tied and fall over twitching.

Sarah on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:16 AM
Officially-endorsed non-canonical works already do happen, to a certain extent: see the novelizations/expanded universes of Star Trek and Star Wars, for starters. Think of all the television adaptations of book series-- the original creators of which are not always around to weigh in. If you wrote for a 'verse I was even passingly familiar with, I'd read it. (Heck, I'd become familiar with a 'verse if you were to write for it.) Best of luck in bribing your sulky muse(s) to cooperate.

Anne on Friday, February 21, 2014 11:29 PM
I may take you up on that offer... given that I've just had people go "EEEE" at the thought of me crossing another couple 'verses I read with the DV. So hang on tight!