If you only knew

I spend a lot of time these days thinking that, or cackling it evilly and rubbing my hands together in glee. "If they only knew! If they only knew what I have planned!" The only problem is that a number of you, judging by your reviews, do know... this is the trouble with writing stories that appeal to smart people. My readers are, well, smart.

Still, I do feel confident that very few of you have guessed everything. Which means that some of the twists and turns along the way will still surprise you, whoever you are. Now if I could just be certain of continuing to come up with good twists and fun surprises in my originals!

But that's for another day, as today is Surpassing Sunday. And yes, as I mentioned, I do have Chapter 48 of Surpassing Danger in the works, trying to make up for my fairly long hiatus, for which I apologize. Would frequent chapters through February be welcome? Is that a very silly question?

Chapter 48 is the last filler-ish chapter I will be writing for a while, and really, filler isn't the right word (thus the suffix), because at this point in the story, everything matters. All the little moments, whether they seem big and life-affecting or not, are what add up to make these people's lives.

But, of course, if you've been reading my writing for a while, you already knew that. So I will just point out that we are approaching Ginny's sixteenth birthday, and the resumption of school with Minerva as Head, and the arrival of Peter and Evanie's daughter, and... and, and, and. And a whoooole lot of things.

So everybody come pick up a hat-strap, and a glasses-strap if you wear such. Oh, and earplugs. You're going to need them. Especially when we get into April or May, and hit Chapters 56 and 57. The screaming at that point, and with just about every chapter after that, is going to be pretty deafening. Thanks, as always, and see you Tuesday!

12 Comments to If you only knew:

Anna L on Sunday, February 02, 2014 2:05 PM
See I view myself as a reader who loves your work, and is too swamped with grad school to go figure everything out. So I will just sit back and enjoy the ride, and scream at chapters along with everyone else.

Anne on Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:23 PM
Making readers scream since 2004, that's me!

Carole on Sunday, February 02, 2014 4:49 PM
As you know, I am absolute rubbish at figuring out the intricacies of your plots, but I do know that nothing would ever make me stop reading them. I think I only figured out one thing this whole time. I wait patiently on the outside, but oh so impatiently on the inside for the next chapter (as I think we all do). I do adore this particular story, and will actually be rather sad to see it all end. I think Ginny's sixteenth birthday will be quite interesting, and am quite looking forward to that. First times aside, I giggle at the thought of Molly's reaction. My seatbelt is fastened, and I'm ready for the ride of my life!

Anne on Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:24 PM
Probably wise. Just hang in there!

buffarama on Monday, February 03, 2014 3:33 PM
chapters are always welcome. yes, that's a silly question. i get niggles of and feelings for things, not so much figure them out. and otterhound is, predictably, behind, so we can't speculate.

Anne on Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:24 PM
You can always speculate on the DV group. 'Tis what it's there for.

Geoffrey on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:23 AM
Two chapters in a week is pretty good progress indeed. I’m glad the words are flowing again, though as I’ve said before I prefer to let a number of chapters build up before I read, otherwise it’s all gone before I’ve barely started.

There is a little something that’s been niggling me for a while, though. Something about Harry needing an heir before Voldemort’s defeat. As I recall, this was the entire justification for Harry and Ginny marrying so early. And this event (by which I mean Voldemort's defeat... and maybe more?) is scheduled for October. Let’s count the months backward together! October, September, August. July, June, May. April, March, February. I mean Valentine’s Day. What. Precisely. Happened. At that party?

Anne on Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:29 PM
The line just has to be continued -- the Heir doesn't have to be born. Sneaky panther is sneaky. (Nice try, though!)

C. Alli T. (oddlyalli) on Sunday, February 09, 2014 3:05 PM
I'm screaming already just reading this post--and yes, it is very silly to ask if your fans want frequent SD. I am thrilled to actually be behind in reading it (I now have Ch. 47 open on the next tab), and so look forward to having my smug, presumptuous smile at your "smart readers" line validated. @Geoffrey : Funny, but no. No no no no. I believe Ms. Walsh has stated, replying to reviews on FFA, that this heir only needs to be conceived before Mouldywart's defeat. The final battle could be the world's strangest pregnancy test.

Anne on Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:30 PM
Well remembered on the detail of Heirship! (I think you'll like how it gets done. 'Tis cute.)

Haminac on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:50 PM
Wee, I missed a lot here... I've been spending 5 or 10 minutes now to find the appropiate blog post to post my ramblings about the three new chapters I've read without reviewing...
So now I finally found it aaaand... I loved it. Yeah, well big suprise over here, I know. I really love all these chapters you call "fillerish", because they slow down the speed of the narration to a point where I have time to comprehend. I am very curious about what will happen with this whole Starwing/Snape thing and I was very suprised about Daffyd and Amanda. So not every reader guesses everything, I guess... Sorry.
I also follow tsos with great interest and amusement, because you so pointedly stated how your plan with "This is a one-shot" did not work out under the last chapter of it. I think the thing I like most about it is that Narcissa is still alive. Am I very weird?
"Off-topic" there's a question/request I have: I've been trying to send messages through your contact form, but somehow you don't answer (I still would like to purchase those books, and have been making progress pay-wise). I completely blame it on the IT and not on you. So do you have a possibility to write me an email via there or the mail I always type in when I make such an comment as in here? I wouldn't like to spam your comment section with my petty questions about buying and paying :D

Anne on Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:30 PM
I think of them as "catching my breath" time myself, instead of filler. And if you have a PayPal account, why not use it to buy Amazon gift cards, then use those to pay on Amazon?