The sleepless bus

And no, that isn't what I ride to work when I'm too tired to drive. The roommate does the driving in the household, all the more so now that her usual complaints that I drive like a maniac have been amply justified by the events of Christmas. No, that's what I'm feeling rather like I've been run over by, this last week or two. Or three.

Caffeine is usually my friend through these times, but I've run up a large enough sleep debt that it's no longer helping much. Add antihistamines to combat my seasonal sniffles... the result is a sadly dazed and confused author-creature, barely able to focus her attention on her actual paycheck-bringing work, to say nothing of writing.

Why am I not sleeping? I don't know. Could be changes in the weather, could be aftereffects from the accident, could be the next step in my usual difficulty in falling asleep. I don't snore, so it's probably not sleep apnea, which is good because I have seen a CPAP and if I had to wear one of those, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sleep at all.

There's a long weekend coming up, so I'm hoping to catch up on some rest at that point. If I don't... well, lack of sleep means lack of energy. Lack of energy means inability to keep up with what I should be doing. Inability to keep up means worry and frustration, and worry and frustration mean... you guessed it, lack of sleep!

So, since there is no writing news to report, I shall sign off for the day. I am very sorry that I don't have anything fun to tell you, but if I could snap my fingers and make my life work better, I would. (Either half of that statement. I cannot snap my fingers.) Thanks for continuing to read. More on Saturday if there's anything to say.

10 Comments to The sleepless bus:

Scott on Friday, January 17, 2014 3:47 PM
Ugh, my sympathies. Lack of sleep is never fun, especially when it goes on for a while. Do you have sleep clinics or a doctor you could go to to see what might be going on? Or is that another thing that winds up expensive? If you are feeling stuffed up at bedtime, despite not snoring, you could possibly try those little band-aid things for your nose that are supposed to help hold the sinuses open, rather than a full-on CPAP thing. I'm certainly not an expert of sleep myself though. As to writing, I thoroughly enjoyed Spell of Sealing the other day, which I would say counts. Whenever you feel up to more of anything, I'm sure I'll be glad to read it; until that time, I have my reread of the Hobbit and recording of a certain book about marriage, magic and highwaymen to keep me busy. :-) Hope you feel better soon, however it comes about.

Anne on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:19 AM
The trouble with sleep clinics is that I'd be required to, well, sleep. In an unfamiliar environment, probably with some equipment hooked up. When I don't do very well even in my own bed, that might be problematic. Still, I'll see what happens. Please remind me to connect with you re that recording -- I'm so sorry I haven't as yet!

lilyginnyrose on Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:19 PM
Lack of sleep is one of the most annoying things that can happen to you. It can make you more prone to illnesses and depressions, so I hope you get some sleep quickly. Your problem could be in a lack of the hormone melatonin, I have a friend who suffers from that. Luckily, you can get that in pills, so maybe you shouyld go to the doctor and get a prescription, because that really helped my friend. Meanwhile, I'll just send you mentally fair dreams and a good night, that you may wake up better for it. (I like that phrase VERY much in the dangerverse. It calms me, if I think it to myself before I go sleep.) And please don't frustrate and worry yourself overmuch, we will wait just as patiently as your readers. Your health is more important than frequent updates.

Anne on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:20 AM
Not certain about regulation/availability of melatonin in the US... would have to look it up. Still, it's worth a shot. Thanks for the advice!

Geoffrey on Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:56 PM
You really can’t snap your fingers? At all? That’s strange. As weird as people who can’t whistle, I guess. Now you’ve got me snapping my fingers, trying to decompose exactly how it’s done. I hope you get some good sleep in soon.

Anne on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:22 AM
I had terrible excema on my fingertips as a child, which has left me with some strange markings on my skin and may contribute to my inability. Also means I'd better never rob a bank, because my fingerprints are very distinctive!

Julia on Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:07 PM
Oh, no, I hope you can get some sleep soon. I'm using the long weekend to catch up on mine. The thing with snapping your fingers is that what makes the noise isn't your fingers hitting each other, it is your middle finger hitting your palm after you snap the two fingers together that makes the snap noise. At least I think so. I snap with my ring finger instead of my middle finger, which people also think is weird. I've been checking out Scribd, it seems like an interesting idea and I haven't subscribed, but I am trying to see what they have before I decide. I can't find you or your books. Are they waiting to put them up or something? The search function is pretty terrible, which is a major drawback, but I couldn't find anything that looked anything like your books. :(

Anne on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:22 AM
Agreed about Scribd's search function! And I think my books are only visible to a paid subscriber, since I had the same problem, even though Smashwords says they've all loaded up now. *sigh* Here's hoping they improve.

Adam on Monday, January 20, 2014 7:24 PM
CPAP machines are quite easy to sleep with. I should know.

Anne on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:23 AM
It all depends on your tolerance for things touching you during your sleep, I would think. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though.