Closer every day

Finishing things has always been harder for me than starting them. Starting has this great "oh boy, something new!" feeling to it, though the accompanying "uh-oh, something I haven't done before" can be terrifying. But finishing things is terrifying, worrisome, bittersweet, all at the same time, and it can really rattle me at times.

The closer I get to finishing the main Dangerverse, the more of the "finishing" feeling I get, especially as the big surprises I've been planning for so long come out of the box. This isn't to say that I won't finish it, of course! But as I continue to post, it will really help me if you continue to give me lots of love. It counteracts the other stuff.

So, let me think. What can I tell you, without being unduly spoilery? (Fair warning: If you have not read Chapter 46 of Surpassing Danger, stop reading this blog post right now!) There are so many amazing things coming up, but I don't want to tell you about most of them, because I want you to read them... argh, decisions, decisions!

Well, a lot of people have asked me about Lucius Malfoy and whether or not he shall receive a proper punishment for his misdeeds, so I shall make that official. Lucius will die in horror and pain, killed by someone he thought he would defeat easily, and he will know that his death will serve to advance the fall of his Master. Will that do?

Also, as I stated before, each member of the Pack and Pride will be responsible for the defeat of at least one enemy. Many of them have already accomplished this -- the Pack-adults, in particular, have each killed an enemy, though every time it was in self-defense or defense of another. Can you recall when that happened, and how?

Just as a side note to that, I will also mention that one of those deaths was very important to have happened the way it did. If it had fallen out another way, the way that someone was afraid it might have, there would have been enormous and painful consequences. I wonder if anyone will guess which, and what might have happened?

And yes, I have indeed been planning Arthur Weasley becoming Minister since the very beginning of Living with Danger. I understand if people don't care for it, but it seems to fit my 'verse and ideas, so I've done it. Molly is going to put him on a strict program of how long he's allowed to chat with the Muggles who live in Sanctuary, though!

A short post, but a fun one, I think. Now I am off to eat delicious ham and potatoes and squash, and to pet rambunctious puppies, currently eating their own dinners so that they will not eat ours. And later, I can watch the Steelers attempt to play football (this season, that's the only verb that fits). Thanks for reading! More on Tuesday!

14 Comments to Closer every day:

Amelia on Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:23 PM
Danger killed Quirrell in Year 1, and Remus killed Karkaroff in Year 4. I'm guessing bad things would have happened if Danger killed Karkaroff in anger? Not sure what, but okay... Haven't figured out Sirius and Aletha yet.

Anne on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:08 AM
Definitely right. Think about what we already know about murder in the HP-verse.

Karen on Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:34 PM
I'm putting off studying for finals by browsing your blog, which I think is an absolutely productive use of my time. Probably my teachers won't though, so I'll make this short. I couldn't agree more about finishing things, and that sort of sad feeling. It's like letting your baby go, and that sucks. I know I speak for at least 3 of us here in my little corner of the world when I say that I've immensely enjoyed all of the Dangerverse, as well as the side stories that do and don't go with it. It's been so fun to watch you grow as an author, and then to see you publish some of your own work. thanks for all the time and energy you put into making something so enjoyable for readers. And now, back to studying. Probably. After I eat pizza.

Anne on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:09 AM
Teachers, pfah. What do they know. Thanks for the lovely words and I hope the pizza was good and that finals go okay!

buffarama on Monday, December 16, 2013 3:27 AM
fans will still follow you after dv finishes, and the way you write missing bits, you could say you'll never truly be finished with the 'verse. as an aside, it really does feel like some of your desciptor verbs have been temporally swapped in the spoiler bits of this post ;)

Anne on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:09 AM
Now now. No giving things away.

Haminac on Monday, December 16, 2013 1:18 PM
Nothing better to make a pause on a busy monday than reading that Lucius Malfoy will die the horrible death he deserves *sighscontent*. I thought Remus had killed someone the Department of Mysteries... But then again the favorite passtime of my mind is usually to confuse its owner... Sirius killed Dudley, didn't he? Can't think of Aletha... Danger was already mentioned above... I agree heartily that starting things is so much easier than finishing. But as you mentioned I will give my share to support to shoo your anxieties away *makes shooing motions towards Anne's finishing fears*

Anne on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:09 AM
No, Aletha killed somebody at the Department of Mysteries. Crouch Jr., pretending to be Crouch Sr.

Haminac on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:38 PM
Ok, then I confused Remus and her :] Thanks for clarification!

Alicia on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:36 AM
But, but I like spoilers! Lots and lots of spoilers! Seriously -- DV is so intricately plotted that the little tidbits you just dropped make me want to go back and just read it all again from the beginning. But I'm trying to be good and save that until DV is finished, since I want to do at least one start-to-finish full reread. Let me just say that I love the idea that it's important how the bad guys die, and that yes, the downfall you have planned for Lucius is good enough for me. I'm really excited for each of these last chapters. They're exciting and beautiful, and have as many of the quiet moments that I love so much as the dramatic surprises. You've accomplished something unique and splendid with DV, and you deserve to be proud of it.

Anne on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:10 AM
*purrrrr* Thanks. I didn't exactly set out to take this precise journey but I can't help being rather proud of where it's going.

Geoffrey on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:32 AM
I’m sorry, Anne. I was going to leave a nice long reply, but then I hit the spoiler line, and since I’m a couple chapters behind on DV (saving up for Dec 24, remember?), I didn’t get any further.

Anyways, I don’t like finishing things either. Books, really good movies, life, etc… I never quite want to reach the end. Because, you know, it would be over. But I don’t mind so much when it’s something I can do over again. Like a favorite book that makes me feel so good I’ll just read the whole thing over again. I think I’ll be okay with the DV ending, too.

So, the other reason I can’t leave a long reply is because my brother-in-law was in town visiting for the evening. We went to see a late showing of the Hobbit. Talk about things that need to end. It was good, but as it dragged on, I occasionally felt “Can it end already? Maybe the dragon can eat just one of the dwarves?” (I guess that’s my biggest complaint, which should not be construed as a significant criticism by any means: for a dragon that ate an entire dwarven nation, Smaug wasn’t very good at killing dwarves.)

I suppose what I’m saying is that all stories, even ones I like, need to end eventually. As writers, we need to finish telling our characters’ stories at some point. We have to get out of their lives, and in return let them leave ours, and move on. There are more stories to tell, more characters to discover and meet and their stories want to be told, too.

To which effect, I suppose I had something to say concerning Draco and Luna… but I think I’ll wait until it’s over before sharing my views. Suffice it to say, it had something to do with endings and character resolutions, and broken promises.

Anne on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:11 AM
Hey, this is plenty long enough for me. And yes, it's probably wisest that you wait until at least Chapter 57-58 before airing views on Draco, Luna, Lucius, etc, because there is a WHOLE lot left to be revealed there...

Adam on Monday, January 20, 2014 7:37 PM
Isn't this the fanfic where Remus is Heir of Gryffindor, and Aletha is Heir of Ravenclaw, and Neville is Heir of Hufflepuff, and Luna is Heir of Slytherin?