Logistics, not lectures

You humble me, O readers. The love and support I have received from you, these past few days as I have been in the throes of frustration, is just amazing. (Not to mention the gentle reality checks, which are appreciated!) In return, I want to offer you a blog post which is 100% focused on good stuff. Slightly boring, perhaps, but good.

The "good stuff" in question? The logistical ins and outs of purchasing my original works if a credit card is not among your possessions. Yes, there is now a way to do that, or there shortly will be one. It involves an envelope and a stamp.

That's right, I'm now accepting payments for originals by snail mail. My mailing address, also listed on the Contact Anne link to your left, is:

Anne B. Walsh
P.O. Box 22123
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

I can accept cash or checks at this address. HOWEVER. If you want to send a check, please contact me BEFORE you mail it! There is a certain detail which MUST be correct on your check or I will have to send it back to you, and nobody likes that.

To make things easier for everybody, I will be writing up an order form for you to download and fill out, but if you simply can't wait another second to start your purchase, calculate your price based on current prices at Smashwords (for e-books) or Etsy (for paper books).

One exception to the rule: please use the Amazon price for the e-book of A Widow in Waiting, $4.99 instead of $5.99. I will be matching this price after the holiday and posting a free Glenscar story on my Fictionpress page to thank everyone for putting up with that particular pricing vagary for the last year and a half.

If you are ordering paper books, please add $3 for domestic shipping on the first book and $1.50 for every large book (A Widow in Waiting and Homecoming), or pair of smaller books (anything else), after that. For international shipping, contact me and we'll figure out what's the best way to get the books to you.

Please also be aware that CreateSpace is backed up due to holiday demand, so I'm out of stock on Killdeer and Christmastime Is Here 2013 until the night before the night before Christmas. The box which is due to arrive today (HUZZAH) contains just enough to fulfill all my current Etsy orders.

So, how this will work is as follows:

1. You decide how much of what you want, write it down, and calculate the price, adding shipping if paper books are requested.
2. You put the written order and payment (cash or check, but CONTACT ME before sending a check please!) in an envelope and mail them to the address above.
3. I receive your written order and do a dance of joy in the post office, making Maureen the counter lady laugh.
4. If you have ordered e-books, I will send you coupon codes for Smashwords; if paper books, I will mail your order with my next set of Etsy sales.

Seem fair? Seem reasonable? Great! (That means my EVUL PLAN is working! Mwahahaha! ...oh, dear, am I making parenthetical observations out loud again?) Yes, this is what happens when you encourage the Anne. She gets slightly wacky.

So, with my wackiness, and this new program for your convenience, I shall depart. Actual writing about writing recommences on Saturday, and if UPS is estimating delivery time correctly, Etsy orders should ship tomorrow! Thanks, as always, and comments are very welcome!

15 Comments to Logistics, not lectures:

Geoffrey on Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:07 AM
Hum… reasons a check would need to be returned… … is your name not Anne?

Everything I know is a lie!

Scott M on Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:59 PM
Most of it isn't, actually. Merely some outward details. ;-)

Anne on Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:19 PM
My parents went with the most popular girls' name of my birth year, which meant there were never fewer than three of us in any of my school classes. My freshman year of college, I resided on a dorm hall with five of us. "Anne" may not appear on my legal documents, but it is a name which belongs to me, so therefore it is my name. (But to keep the banks happy, any checks should be made out to the young lady whose name resides on my cubicle wall.)

Geoffrey on Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:22 PM
All right, there's a story here. You must tell! How did “Anne” come about? And why don't you want people using... uh... J—?

Anne on Friday, December 13, 2013 8:40 AM
As mentioned below, 'tis my confirmation name. And no, the legal name does not begin with J, though I went to school with plenty of Jens and Jennis and Jennifers. It was actually a Jen who used to threaten to drop her O-chem book on my head if I didn't stop typing at 3 AM, in the very earliest days of the DV.

Kaylee on Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:52 PM
Yes yes, Anne, we love you! *kaylee-kitteh-wolf-possiblylynx huggles* Although I did not know your proper name was not Anne. Is it your middle name? Or did you just pick it like I picked Kaylee for myself? :)

Anne on Friday, December 13, 2013 8:39 AM
It is self-chosen, but there's a reason behind it. I don't think it's a secret that I'm Roman Catholic, and when I was in the 11th grade I received the sacrament of Confirmation, which marks my adulthood in the Church. As part of that sacrament, I was expected to choose an additional name, usually one of a saint whose life or story inspired me, or who had some connection to me. I chose Saint Anne, the Virgin Mary's mother, because I was born on her feast day.

Haminac on Friday, December 13, 2013 12:32 PM
There's now an entry on my wishlist, saying "Books by Anne B. Walsh" :D Looks, nice, doesn't it? So my relatives and friends have to figure out how to get them ( They are available at my local amazon as paperbacks and e-books, I checked it!) and then I will just buy anything I want but don't get after christmas :D I love it when a plan comes together! Current DV-chapter: Hah!! I knew it. Or rather I suspected it. I have to say, normally I'm totally wrong with my wild guesses, so it was again a suprise, because I didn't expect to be right :D I like how Molly is handling the situation with Hannah and I absolutely love the Percy/Crystal scene including the Weasley scene that is together with it. Happy friday for me :]

Anne on Friday, December 13, 2013 9:10 PM
So glad you approve. I had such fun writing those bits. :-) Yay for wish lists!

lilyginnyrose on Friday, December 13, 2013 5:43 PM
Hey hey, bugger you americans with you obsession with creditcards. (not meant personally, just frustrated, you can't get anything online without one. Now I'll have to do this this way, and I don't know how much it costs to sent mail across the atlantic ocean. It seems rather complicated. Maybe I can get my parents to help me. And bugger you all who don't accept euros (also looking to you, all englishmen out here) How much would I have to send you in euros to purchase your books? If I were to do it the snailmail way?

Anne on Friday, December 13, 2013 9:17 PM
Okay, I'll bite. How else would you suggest paying for things online? As for sending mail across the ocean, we'll figure it out. Do you want e-books or paper books? E-books are going to run between 2.60 and 3.86 euros, while the most expensive paper book I sell is listed for 11.97. Shipping is the hard part, though... if you want paper books, yes, asking your parents to get them from your local Amazon is probably best.

Geoffrey on Saturday, December 14, 2013 12:32 AM
@lilginrose: Did you know you can buy pre-paid credit cards? Easy, safe, and while not exactly free, they will work for online transactions. Probably the easiest option here.

Haminac on Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:36 PM
You'll bit, I'll tug. Living in €-Europe as well, I can asure you, bank transfers and invoices are absolute adequate possibilities to shop online :] Especially for non-adults it's really frustrating because as soon as you have your own bank account you can act quite independently without parents. Until you hit online American borders. Then suddenly everybody wants a credit card which hardly anyone owns over here and if, only rather rich people because that thing _costs_. Meh. So online-shopping-wise it's a little bit like two different worlds :] Answers your question?

Anne on Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:48 PM
It does, though it's still weird to me, because credit cards are free in America. Except for annual fees, which not every card has -- mine don't -- and interest if you carry a balance. Is Paypal or a similar system a possibility?

Haminac on Monday, December 16, 2013 5:17 PM
Yeah, the annual fees are often pretty high for us and I am not sure how many shops over here accept credit cards because of my lack of experience. Paypal is also used here, but I think it's not as often as in America. I used it once or twice but don't have an account there. Many bigger platforms offer paying via Paypal.