The longest weekend

At least, unlike the now-hibernating roommate, I did not have to work the entire length of our choir's cabaret night, then go into work at midnight and stay until 5:30 AM, only to get up again at 8:45 and perform at two Masses (one with regular singing choir and one with handbell choir). Just the outside portions for me, thanks much!

Still, "just the outside portions" added up to quite a full day yesterday, which is why you didn't get your Sampler Saturday blog post. So, to make up for it, one combined Wacky Weekend post coming up! Reports on Killdeer and other works, and then a bit on the current state of Surpassing Danger, for your reading and commenting pleasure!

Killdeer, to my satisfaction, is going quite well. I managed to get into Part Four (which will close the story) the other day and hope/intend to keep going with it either tonight or tomorrow, which is a holiday for me. At my current writing rate, I only have about 15,000 words to go, which is the equivalent of two and a half main DV chapters.

Once the story is finished, of course, I will need to polish it and possibly get a couple other opinions, but after that I will be publishing it as soon as I can through my usual suspects: Amazon (all of 'em, for those of you who do not live in the US), Smashwords, and my Etsy site for signed hard copies. Share the news with friends, if you will!

After Killdeer is published, I will be able to release In the Bleak Midwinter, and Christmastime Is Here 2013 as soon as I finish the reader-inspired story, which is also going well... except that I can't think of a title for it. Ah well, there's a ways yet to go, and sometimes the best titles are the ones that become obvious only after the fact.

So that's all the news on the originals front. Now to the world of fan fiction. I apologize to those of you who got multiple update alerts from fanficauthors on Chapter 44. Jeconais, the site admin, is looking into the problem and will let me know once he's figured out what went wrong. For now, alerts on ffa are totally down.

However, alerts or no alerts, I'm still writing, or at least letting the ideas come to me, for Surpassing Danger. Writing out a general outline, and titling the chapters, seems to have settled a couple of recurring problems I was having with this last part of the story, so it may not even be the year I was talking about before it's finished.

On the other hand... it may. What would people think of getting a chapter of SD every two weeks, and on the in-between weeks, getting some of my other stories, like The Lion, the Snake, and the Safe Room, the continuation of The Spell of Sealing or even that Be Careful sequel I've been promising to write for three years? Thoughts, folks?

The roommate-creature has emerged from her hibernation and will shortly be seeking food-like substance, so I'd better sign off for a while. Thanks as always for reading, and your comments are happily awaited!

14 Comments to The longest weekend:

buffarama on Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:03 PM
yay, all good things excepting the lack of sleep. yay, stories! :)

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:48 PM
Eh, lack of sleep happens.

Tricia on Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:46 PM
Yay! I would love any and all Anne writing, so no complaints on any front. I can't wait for Killdeer. That was my favorite story in Cat Tails, and it just "caught" me in a way that Homecoming didn't (although I enjoyed it).

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:49 PM
Which is why I write in many different veins, because what grabs one person may bore another, and vice versa.

Yuliya on Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:43 PM
I'm jumping for joy at the idea of alternating fanfictions- especially any news that you may continue The Spell of Sealing, which I totally fell in love with once I read it. As for The Lion, the Snake, and the Safe Room, I haven't checked or even double-checked my suspicions, but when reading Surpassing Danger, I felt faint resonances to the Founders' spouses in TLtSatSR. I could be totally wrong, but it feels to me as if the Founder's spouses in SD are of the same/similar type as they are in TLSSR.

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:49 PM
You're not wrong. :-)

NotACat on Monday, November 11, 2013 3:11 AM
So does this mean I might be able to give myself Killdeer for Christmas? My cup runneth over…also, I need to sort out that special shelf for Anne Walsh books (right next to JKR and just above Jim Butcher and the Liaden Universe®)! The prospect of having some of those "side" stories updated is also bright, especially The Lion, the Snake, and the Safe Room which does indeed promise to give us more insight into the Founders' families (I recall that interview you gave to the PFW folks from under the desk ;-).

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:49 PM
Hey, it's quite comfortable under there.

Haminac on Monday, November 11, 2013 1:35 PM
I'll take anything I can get :] But I must admit that I like the Dangerverse too much to really opt for a less frequent update there. I also appreciate the repeated note that your originals are available through amazon outside the US. Didn't know that! Is your share of the price different whether I buy for eReader or a hard copy? I still enjoy the current developments in the D-verse very much. I am very excited about the interaction between Lucius and Peter! I just love the multitude of the story threads.

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:50 PM
My royalty is really quite similar, whatever format you buy in, so get what's most convenient for you!

Geoffrey on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:06 AM
I’m glad to hear the news about Killdeer. I look forward to reading it. And I hope you enjoyed your Monday. I empathize about the busy weekend, though mine was exhausting for quite different reasons. I’m never happier than to get back into work on a Monday morning, knowing I have five whole days before the next weekend. I suppose I’m a bit messed up, but I just wish I could get a “full” weekend.

But regarding the Surpassing Danger front, I recommend taking it slow. It’s been a long project, and I see no reason to hurry the end. Just so long as there is an end. I admit I wasn’t particularly taken with The Lion, the Snake, and the Safe Room, and while I adored most of Be Careful, it doesn’t really seem to want a sequel.

And… oh yes, you’ve mentioned Twitter twice now, though not in this posting. It feels wrong. For you. Mind you, authors have been getting themselves published and noticed long before social media, and they’ll continue long after it has faded away again. The only way to sell your books is to get them into the hands of people who adore them so much they’ll recommend and give them to their friends.

Some context. I was raised in a household where argument — I mean debate — was a way of life. We outgrew it in time, but there still exists a certain need to have “correct opinions”, to use an antiquated term. With time has come sophistication. And with sophistication has come taste. I can lend my sister The Name of the Wind or show her Blink, and there’s no question about my good taste. But one simply does not waste his or her time on puerile stories. Not that a survey of any given person’s Goodreads reviews will demonstrate that they liked everything they read. Even in my family. But there must be a reason to believe something is good before taking a chance on it.

And there’s the rub. Would I recommend an Anne novel to one of my sisters? Well, it depends on the sister, doesn’t it? But it’s my opinion that matters in the case, and my judgement that’s at stake. If I rave about something, and it’s not well received, my credit goes down, or as Doctorow might say, I lose Whuffie. So why recommend an unknown writer when there are a hundred known authors with critically reviewed works? She’d better be pretty good, or have something awfully unique to offer.

Of course, I think you’re pretty amazing; but there’s that bit of doubt: I like a lot of things that aren’t “high brow”, so to speak. Will Killdeer be something I can safely recommend, or is it one of those things only a dedicated fan would appreciate? Why take the risk when Mitch Albom has a new novel out?

And that’s what it comes down to: you need your fans to recommend your books over those of other more established writers, and that’s what breaking out means.

And now with the depressing stuff aside, a question: How do you prefer your blog comments? Long or short? Direct or segued? With stories, or without? Whimsical or pragmatic? And most importantly, what’s that address where you can receive (physical) fan mail without the risk of stalkers showing up at your door?

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:53 PM
Some people like best to be busy. I enjoy it, but it can get overwhelming to me. See earlier comment about different veins, actually as a reply to several of your comments -- I try to write a variety of styles for this very reason. And I do have fans who like to recommend my books. I just need people to start listening! As for comments... long is nice, but too long and I start feeling a tad bit overwhelmed (see above). Stories always amuse, and I'm a whimsical kind of a gal. Thanks as always for reading!

lilyginnyrose on Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:04 PM
I would like to see as many SD as possible, but alternating with your other fanfiction is alright with me too, it gives more information about characters. Besides I liked be careful a lot and would definitely appreciate a sequel. So I say, write what you want to write, and just keep it flowing if you can. I'll read and review.

Anne on Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:47 PM