Be careful what you wish for...

It's not just its own story anymore.

So you want a new chapter of your favorite story. You wait patiently (or not so patiently) for the author to finish the new chapter. You hope and pray every night that the new chapter will be finished. And what happens, a month and more after the last chapter, when the new chapter is finally finished? The author kills somebody off.

Without spoiling, I think I can say that I had foreshadowed this particular character death pretty clearly. Still, I know some people will be unhappy with me. But as I once heard another author say, as soon as you give the story enough flavor to make it good, that guarantees there's somebody out there who won't enjoy the taste.

Since I did update Surpassing Danger today (fanfiction.net and fanficauthors.net links!), I'm a little brain-blasted when it comes to the Dangerverse. I do love it, but I've also been hit with a couple of critical reviews lately, including one rather nasty one, though the reviewer apologized when he realized how unfriendly he'd sounded.

Still, after almost nine years of playing in J.K. Rowling's sandbox, I've come to love the DV characters very deeply, and as anyone who's read Homecoming or "Hyper-Lynx" from Cat Tales knows, they aren't going anywhere any time soon. So I think that shall be the subject of today's Surpassing Sunday blog post: DV-based originals!

The two listed above are the only ones I have published, except for a little twiddle on my Fictionpress account. However, they are by no means the only ideas I have had. People who've been around the fandom for a while may remember something called  Dangerous Truths, or for those who've been here a little less long, Elemental Heirs...

The thing is, I'm of two minds about these stories. In no way do I ever want to bore you, my dear readers, or feel like I'm in a rut, repeating the same stories over and over. And yet, I feel like there's so much more I could do with these characters. So many new places and times to explore, so many amazing adventures to have.

I suppose, once again, this is a matter of taste. Some of you would be only too happy to read about the same characters, or similar ones in various guises, through all sorts of mishaps and malarkey. Others of you would probably prefer to get to know a new set of characters in every story, and might feel cheated at too much repetition.

So, thoughts? Any way you slice it, I'm going to keep on telling stories about unusual families who come together in interesting ways, and who might just have to save the world one of these days. I'd just like to know if you want to be able to say, "Hey, I know those guys!" some, all, or none of the time. Or if you're not sure.

Please enjoy the new chapter, as much as that's possible, and I'll see you on Tuesday, when we shall have a chance to learn about the homes and habits of the Trycantan species known as lyrror, who will play quite a large role in Snowball. Stay tuned!

10 Comments to Be careful what you wish for...:

Elizabeth Conall on Sunday, September 08, 2013 9:21 PM
Some. Some is good.

Tricia on Sunday, September 08, 2013 9:41 PM
I do love the "glimpses" of the characters, but I do get distracted trying to keep straight who is who. I do think you do a good job of "tweaking" the characters for each of the original stories, so it isn't obvious except for maybe those who have read *all* of the Dangerverse and all the permutations of it. Branching out is good, too, though. I think you have a gift for writing memorable characters that are easy to love (or hate, as the case may be), and I love seeing more of the new ones, too. In all, great work!

NotACat on Monday, September 09, 2013 2:10 AM
I like all of them, it's just a pity you can't write all of them at the same time. I remember "Elemental Heirs" looking like fun, I hope we can have some more of that when a suitable occasion arises ;-)

Frances on Monday, September 09, 2013 11:59 AM
I'm not entirely sure. On the one hand it seems like seeing the same characters over and over again might get a little boring but to be honest, I've read everything you've written that I can get my hands on and I haven't been bored yet. I don't see that changing any time soon. And regardless of the repetition of characters, I'll read everything anyway! So I suppose it comes down to: write whatever you want and we'll enjoy whatever it turns out to be.

Scott on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:16 AM
Basically I agree with Frances. Objectively, I can see how 'rehashing' characters could wind up boring or annoying, but it hasn't happened yet! I enjoy everything you write, because I like happy endings and those basic themes of yours; sometimes I enjoy one story more than others, sometimes a different one, depending on my own tastes and moods, but I don't think I've run across any I disliked. Write what is flowing, write what feels good to you, and we shall partake with joy when we may.

Amelia on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:07 PM
Well, I have to agree with the above. I've loved all your stories, keep writing! That being said, I personally do enjoy seeing the same characters, and Elemental Heirs (that was the one with the Romeo and Juliet-type prophecy, right?) sounded fun.

pocojo on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:07 PM
Hi, Anne, (rambling alert, continue at your own peril...) just caught up with Dangerverse and then spent some time digging around in this site. You've got a huge opus, so I'm frankly quite dizzy... and not happy about you killing off - did you really kill off that poor sweet boy or is it just an evil evil cliffie? anyway, i can't see how or where you re-use characters compared to other authors, even published ones. My un-golden standard (IMHO and very untutored opinion, too) is David Eddings who somehow manages to make all his characters, regardless of gender, age, or affiliation, sound exactly the same. Yet he still sold tons of books! Yours do have each their own personality, development, goals in life, and whatever else. I loved how every cub and later their mates in Hogwarts each developed in their own consistent, understandable and deeply human way. Yes, I'm unhappy that you killed G... more unhappy still about fred's death, especially since it forebodes george's... or am I mixing them up again? But it is a war, people are dying (duh!) and deatheaters don't exactly care about their victim's ages and innocence, so why would they care about how attached we (the readers) have become to your world's inhabitants? Well, JKR's world's, but your spinnoff's. There, there pat the lawyers... So, don't mind the occasional reader who cries outrage for a character death. This is not a fairy tale. (though actually fairy tales are really hard on supporting characters, especially mothers and older siblings). That said, I'm gibbering for Draco DV-edition who is very dear to me. Hoping you'll find a way to make various prophecies true without killing him off. Oh well, I'm in your hands. We all are. Going off-topic, read somewhere that your own dear padfoot has gone on to the great beyond to look for that shiny bone of all bones. I look at my own pets, one scarcely more than a pup and the other already in go-blind and arthritis age, and can say, from my heart, that I am very sorry for your loss. It is truly fortunate that we humans are still willing to face future pain and loss just to have present love. Hugs from me and my tail-wagging girls, and thank you for all your hard work, happy or sad, just like life, P.

pocojo on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:15 PM
probably off-topic, but still: DV Snape is another guy who definitely shows promise. Ravens mentioned repeatedly but so far everything Snape-related goes on either off-screen or we get mere glimpses through his interactions with other characters. Since this is the last DV book and we have less than 6 months left... could you find it in your heart to let us see a little more about his development as spy, unsung hero and deeply dramatic and complex character? JKR never really exploited the potential. You did Peter some justice, could you do some for Grumpy? Who I'm pretty certain will die before the end anyway, so it would be nice for us to have some on-screen sympathy with him before he croaks...

Anne on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:07 PM
Well, since you asked so nicely... Snape does not, in fact, die before the end of the DV. He survives the Battle of Hogwarts and gets yelled at by Lily a la "Be Careful" (Harry summons "everyone who ever loved us, no matter where you are" to help them fight, creating what one of my betas refers to as the Revenant Army of Awesome), who tells him that she does not want to see him for at least sixty years. He subsequently moves to Sarajevo, marries a local woman, and sends Sirius gag gifts on his birthday every year, usually Seven Dwarves merchandise which has been enchanted to sing "Hi-Ho" and "It's A Small World After All" loudly and off-key until Sirius says the pass phrase, usually some variant of "Severus Snape is awesome and I do not deserve these lovely presents he gives me". The cubs, both generations of them, find this hilarious. In later years, the Blacks' second son Liam competes in the Triwizard Tournament against a girl named Eileen, who attends Durmstrang. Neither of them wins but they find each other attractive and carry on a long-distance relationship for a year and a half before finally arranging a meet-up between their two families. And you may believe as much or as little of that as you care to. :-D

Sam on Sunday, September 29, 2013 9:51 PM
Actually...I loved the characters in "He Nearly Killed the Cat" and would love to see more of the Legend-Breakers. Maybe I'm weird. I do however, love new and old characters equally and am brimming with happiness over the idea of uncommon families working together in awesomeness. Finally, Snape's future sounds both magnificent and illogical.